Story Editing | Brainstorming | Darling Killing
For those moments when you just need another damn ear.
- I work as a traditional editor, supporting producers from start to finish (hellsyeah collaboration).
- I edit by-the-hour (for people who want to get over a hump and have fresh editorial ears on a story/idea/pitch).
If you produce audio stories, I’m sure you have gotten to that moment (for me, it’s often late at night) when you have no idea where your story is going. You have recorded so much tape, you’ve moved the pieces around dozens of times, the voices sound like noise, and you just can’t hear the story anymore. (This is when I feel like quitting.)
Hold steady. You just need another damn ear.
Editors make the story better. They help storytellers focus on what matters most and make a road map forward. Plus, collaboration makes the process more fun.
Typically, editors work with producers from start to finish, helping to plan a story out and then make it happen. But sometimes all you need to get started or get over a hump is one keen ear and a good conversation. I can do both.
I specialize in narrative or documentary storytelling.
I can provide BIG structural notes, smaller line edits or a combination.
I can help you focus a podcast brainstorm, concept, production workflow, or strategy.
I like to work with:
- independent producers who are just starting out
- producers who want to tell an especially personal story
- producers/reporters who want to stretch their skills and experiment
- organizations who want their stories to have an impact
If you are brainstorming an idea or working through a tough story, please feel free to get in touch.